Sommernachts Konzert 2017 (2017 Summer Night Concert). In May 2017 Christoph Eschenbach conducted the Wiener Philharmoniker in the annual Summer Night Concert at the Baroque Park of the Schönbrunn palace in Vienna. Features soprano Renée Fleming. Video by Henning Kasten. Released 2017, disc has 5.0 dts-HD Master Audio sound. Grade: NA
Here is the program, in alphabetical order by composers, that we got from Sony PR. This title was rushed from the May performance to publication in just weeks, so the information with the package and in Sony PR may not be fully accurate. For examples, you can't tell from the back art on the keepcase in which numbers Fleming sang and the list below doesn't include the Wiener Blut encore. This is a fun package, we don't sweat the details.
- Dvorak: Carnival Overture
- Dvorak: "Za tihlou Gazelou" from Armida --- Renée Fleming
- Dvorak: "Song to the Moon" from Rusalka --- with Renée Fleming
- Humperdinck: Hänsel & Gretel Overture
- Rachmaninov: Twilight, Op.21 No. 3 --- Renée Fleming
- Rachmaninov: Ne poy, krasavitsa, pri mne, Op. 4 No. 4 --- Renée Fleming
- Rachmaninov: Spring torrents, Op. 14 No.11 --- Renée Fleming
- Stravinsky: The Firebird, "Danse infernale du roi Kastchei"
- Stravinsky: The Firebird, "Berceuse"
- Stravinsky: The Firebird Finale
- Tchaikovsky: Sleeping Beauty --- Pas d'action
- Tchaikovsky: Sleeping Beauty "Waltz"
- John Williams Hedwig's Theme --- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
This concert is shot outdoors on a temporary stage, which makes it tough to get decent video and sound recordings of the orchestra and the soloists. Macht nichts! This is always a pleasant show, and you get to see some of the Schönbrunn palace and grounds. Schönbrunn remains my favorite palace visit---there's plenty of pomp and grandeur, but the place somehow also has the cozy feel of a home where many families lived out their days.
Hugo Shirley, writing in the September 2017 Gramophone (page 61) states, "It was clearly fun to be there; but, listened to [and seen] at home, this concert comes across as only intermittenly satisfying." This could be a comment applied to most of the HDVDs we have of these annual outdoor concerts staged throughout Europe.
There's a ton of bootleg video about this concert, but I couldn't find an official Sony clip.