Beethoven Piano Sonatas Vol. 2 played by Rudolf Buchbinder in the Mozarteum Großer Saal at the 2014 Salzburg Festival. Here's the program:
- Piano Sonata No. 3 in C major
- Piano Sonata No. 7 in D major
- Piano Sonata No. 16 in G major
- Piano Sonata No. 19 in G minor
- Piano Sonata No. 24 in F sharp major
- Piano Sonata No. 26 in E flat major, "Les Adieux"
- Piano Sonata No. 28 in A major
- Piano Sonata No. 29 in B-flat major "Hammerklavier"
- Piano Sonata No. 6 in F major
Directed for video by Frédéric Delesque. Released 2016, music was recorded with 48kHz/24-bit sound sampling and disc has 4.0 dts-HD Master Audio sound output. Grade: D+
This is the second in a series of 3 discs in which Buchbinder recorded all the Beethoven piano sonatas. See my detailed reviewed of Vol. 1 which was published earlier. Because the 32 sonatas were recorded in 32 separate "chapters" and appear in what appears to be random order over the 3 volumes, I would assume that the sonatas presented in Vol. 1 are representative of the whole series or are, perhaps, the best recordings of all of them. Because of the many deficiencies noted in Vol. 1, I graded it D+. Since Vol. 1 is probably representative, I give the same D+ to Vol. 2 as a tentative grade. If anyone can show me why Vol. 2 deserves a better grade than D+, I would cheerfully accept whatever higher grade that person would suggest.