Les Funérailles Royales de Louis XIVconcert (The Royal Funerals of Louis XIV). Performed November, 2015 at the Palace of Versailles. Raphaël Pichon conducts the Ensemble Pygmalion. Features singers Céline Scheen (Soprano), Lucile Richardot (Mezzo-soprano), Samuel Boden (Tenor), Marc Mauillon (Baritone), and Christian Immler (Baritone). Released 2018. Grade: NA
For the 300th anniversary of the death of Louis XIV, the Sun King, the Palace of Versailles staged a concert featuring baroque French compostions played during the various funereal processions of the king. Here is the program, and which cycle of the funeral procession each work was played at:
- Lying in state: Jean Colin – Miserere, falso-bordone for 6 voices
- Funeral procession: André Danican Philidor - Drums and Funeral March for the King's Procession
- Office for the Dead: Michel-Richard de Lalande - De Profundis, Grand Motet
- Absoution & Burial: Jean Colin - Pie Jesu, plainsong and falso-bordone for 6 voices
- Fanfare: "Le Roy est mort ! Vive le Roy !"
- Funeral ceremony & first anniversary: Michel-Richard de Lalande - Dies Irae, Grand Motet